Recipe courtesy of Annette Gladys
Asian Inspired Chicken Lettuce Wraps
I love the idea of lettuce wraps without the mess of the sauce dripping down the back of your hands while you eat. I also love little bites that you can just pick up and eat without having a plate. That way you can keep your drink in one hand and have the other free to nibble on all the food at the party, plus you don’t have to sit down to use a knife and fork to eat anything! How wonderful is that!
1 pound ground chicken
2 TBS. Vegetable Oil
6 oz. Shitake Mushrooms, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch fresh peeled ginger, grated
6 oz. canned water chestnuts, chopped
3-4 tsp. Chili Garlic Sauce (I used Lee Kum Kee), add even more if you like things more spicy!
5 tsp. Thai Style Chili Sauce (I use Kikkoman)
3 TBS. Rice Vinegar
3 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. Cream Sherry
2 TBS. Oyster Sauce
3 TBS. Hoisin Sauce (I use Koon Chun-it is a little bit sweeter than some other ones)
4 oz. Bean Sprouts, roughly chopped - about 1/2 - 3/4 inches long
Juice of 1/2 - 1 lime
30-36 belgium endive leaves
4-5 oz. cream cheese at room temperature, optional
Lime zest from 2 limes
1 green onion chopped finely, green part only
1. Add oil to hot skillet on medium heat.
2. Add the ground chicken and brown.
3. Add the shitake mushrooms, garlic and ginger to the browned chicken and cook for about 4-5 minutes until
the mushrooms are soft.
4. Add the the water chestnuts, chili garlic sauce, thai style chili sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, cream sherry,
oyster sauce and the hoisin sauce to the pan. Stir to combine and cook for about 4 minutes until the
5. Add the bean sprouts and lime juice, cooking for about 2 -3 more minutes. Turn off heat.
6. Take cream cheese and place about 1 tsp. of cream cheese in each endive leaf from base to top. Spread
evenly or pipe on each leaf from a pastry bag.
7. Place about 2 tsp. meat mixture on just the top half (the larger part) of each leaf. (The cream cheese will
show at the base of the leaf.)
8. Garnish each one with some of the green onion and lime zest.
Place on a platter and enjoy!